Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dickens on the Strand 2011


The weekend after Thanksgiving both sets of parents came to Galveston for Dickens on the Strand. Its an annual event where everyone dresses up and the downtown area is all decorated, its a lot of fun.
The first night, my parents got their first, they helped us decorate our tree!



We have a memory tree, all of our ornaments from childhood, and we add to it every
year if we can with something that means something, or reminds us of that year.

Let me give a backstory on the first ornament, b/c I don't want you to 
think we are crazyweird dog people. Last year, we were at 
Kemah in an ornament shopand I found a pomeranian ornament 
(looks like Bella), but, alas, there were no black and white 
pomeranian ornaments, so we just got the one Jordan
 joked with me about it for a while b/c he always says Bella is 
the 'favorite dog', so,this year, I went out in search for a black
 pomeranian ornament. I finally found one on this shady website,
 but it only came in an all-black pomeranian, 
and as you know, Zeus has unique patches of white on him:) 
Well, thanks to white out, I could make it look just like him,
 and the teacup its sitting in is such a nice touch I thought:
I had 2 picture ornaments made, on shutterfly (it was super easy) 
one for my business I started this year 
(kind nerdy, I know-but there aren't 
many calligraphy ornaments out there)
 and the other one is a picture from
 our 5 year Anniversary Vacation in Cancun:)
and lastly, I found this unique Palm Tree Christmas Tree.
 It made me think of 'Christmas at the beach' and since 
we're in Galveston, I thought it was fitting.



Watching us put up ornaments:)

The next morning I had my monthly breakfast with the 
UTMB Med Student Wives:
This month we had: Callie, Katie, Me and Emmie.

Later that day was Dickens on the Strand, its held every year, and you 
get to dress up, so its pretty fun, esp for kiddos.
You can check it out here

They dressed up pretty good.

Emma was so excited!:)

i love this pic.

Jordan should wear this more.

I saw my friend from my old elem school in Dickinson, Amber! 
So glad to see her:)

Playing around on the strand.

our outfits weren't that great, but we had fun anyway.

Emma got her picture with the Queen, so cool.

That afternoon, Gabe and Emma were playing on 
our front porch after the Dickens thing.
Unfortunately, Emma slipped on the steps, 
fell and broke her arm/wrist. We all
walked across the street to the UTMB Emergency Room, 
(came in handy after all)
She was a pretty good sport about it though:)

After she got the sling at the hospital, we all went to
 Moody Gardens Festival of Lights:


Had a great time with family, wished we could be with them more,
but its nice the time we do have with them.

Thanks for reading:)



3 comments:

Casey & Lauren Coats said...

Love your new ornaments! We do the same thing, as you know, and got a few new ones this year, too! I love decorating the tree each year with all the ornaments that hold so many memories!

jordanandrachel said...

I know! Its so much fun:) I much prefer it over a 'pretty tree' it just makes decorating for Christmas so much more exciting/meaningful:)

Anonymous said...

Love It! i forgot about that picture, we look great, facebook worthy!

ABlake